Saturday, July 28, 2012

How to: avoid making curtains

I was lucky to have received this wonderful Christmas gift. 7 months ago.



In February, I took a beginner level sewing class, half of which was spent trying to get my machine threaded properly. Two experienced sewing instructers couldn't figure it out, so I had to run home in the middle of class to get the information manual. Apparently, my machine was completely different than any sewing machine they had used, or taught on before.

By the time I got back to class with the manual and got the machine threaded, the rest of the class had already learned how to do seams, interfacing and make a pillow cover. bummer. 

This was not the beginning to this sewing adventure that I had hoped for...

I tried to catch up before the class ended... and then began dreaming up all the things I was going to making real soon.

scarf/table runner/pillow cover

A couple of months went by and my sewing machine was working very hard collecting dust. 

In the interest of beginning a new sewing project, I decided to move our white Ikea curtains from our bedroom to our guest bedroom, as shown below.


At the time, I was pleased to de-nakify the guest room, but now I want to find red and white pattern curtains to coordinate with the pillows in that room (in the photo below) and add tiebacks to have the curtains frame the window, not hang down the middle.


Since our bedroom was left bare, I was going make curtains...

Right after I checked TJ MAXX first, just in case they had something perfect. and cheap.

Well, by golly... you would never believe that I found the perfect color curtains for $14.99. They matched our bedding and you CANNOT make curtains for $14.99. (If you can, don't tell me.)



However, before I could hang the panels, I had to take care of fixing the curtain rod. The rod is a 1900's classic. It is a tiny metal bar that is literally held in the middle by balancing on a nail head. 

Nope, didn't fix that part, but I did need to spray paint it white because it was driving me crazy as the only non-white element. 


So, we did what any DIY virgins would do and hung the rod from a tree, with a wire, and spray painted it.




From the photos you can probably tell from what Ian is wearing, and the color of the grass, that this was spring time. 

What do you think our neighbors were thinking?

Ian took over the project, like usual. I shouldn't complain, because I am glad he likes to get involved with my crazy projects. 

He took care of the spraying, and I ironed the curtains.

Quickly the project was completed and I was happy with the final results. The curtains pulled together our bedding and our basket drawers. 


So, there is your answer. If you want to avoid making curtains, go to TJ MAXX.

However, there is one instance where you cannot avoid making curtains. That instance is when your mother-in-law calls you to help her sew a valance for her updated bathroom...on the sewing machine that she got you for Christmas... that you are supposed to know how to use by now.

crap.

"Sure come on over and we can figure it out!"

Long story short, we ended up messing it up big time. We sewed the part where the rod goes through inside out. If you do this, you can not turn your valance right side out to hang. Lesson learned, the section where the rod should go through should have been sewn while the valance was right side out. Lori, my mother-in-law, took a seam ripper to part of it, and came over the next day while I was at work to fix that part. It is hanging in her bathroom, and it's only slightly crooked. Not too bad for two non-sewers.

With that experience under my belt, I'm ready to take on the guest bedroom curtains, living room curtains and living room pillow covers, for real this time. No TJ MAXX!

I'm having a hard time committing to fabrics, but as soon as that happens, my sewing machine and my ego are sure to get a workout. 

Here are some fabric ideas I have been playing around with for our living room: 



Once I narrow down my fabric selections, I'll be sure to share.

xo

2 comments:

  1. I have that cabinet!!! Boy, you've got skills and GOOD taste!-- Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, so funny! I got skills at TJ MAXX shopping! :) Hopefully, I will commit to some fabric and get movin' on working on those sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete