Wednesday, August 15, 2012

my new job

If you have been following my less-than-descriptive Facebook posts, you might be under the impression that:

A) I am not commuting 100 miles a day any longer
B) I have a new job
C) All of the above

C is correct!

It was bittersweet to say goodbye to the industry that I began my career. (The retail industry and career that I explained here.) Naturally, I already miss it a little bit... mostly the creating-amazing-hats part. I also miss my wonderful co-workers and my fantastic food options in Findlay, OH (Greek Garden, Main Street Deli, Bistro on Main, Jimmy Johns, Chipotle).

But, I am excited about my new job!

In complete small-town-style, I got my new job through Ian's cousin's husband. Got that? 

It all began with casual conversations and an opportunity surfaced. The company is Exceptional Motorcars and over 95% of their business is wholesaling cars, buying and selling at auctions. They have a great facility in Defiance that is perfect for increased retail operations, and they have the buying power to increase their retail sales.

They created a position for me to do marketing, social media, and e-commerce (online sales). I also will be analyzing the inventory and pricing.

Since I began blogging last spring, I have become intrigued and followed lots of media and research surrounding how online marketing, search engine optimization and social media can be marketing and sales tools for businesses.

Now, I get the opportunity to take what I learned about retail sales over the last 5 years and combine it with my marketing education, and interest in what the weber-net has to offer in the form of marketing and sales.

This is truly the raw form of retail... it's fresh. No politics like the big box retailers, and what's left is simply -  how do we sell more cars? what inventory will sell the best on the weber-net and how can we get more traffic online and to our facility?

This week I have been working on:




...and some other things... but I can't give away all my trade secrets! 

I'm excited about the job and also saying goodbye to a lot of stress caused by my long commute. (My new job is only 4 miles away!)

goodbye detours, goodbye obsessing over weather, goodbye gas stations twice a week, goodbye trains



And, I don't have to worry about being in the middle of nowhere when a 90-mile wind storm picks up and causes fences to fly towards me and trees to fall down near me... 

I hadn't shared this yet, but I was stuck in a terrible storm in July. There was a lot of damage to homes in the area, as well as cars. Semi trucks were flipped over and huge trees were down everywhere. Three quarters the way through the storm, I found a home that looked like someone was there to let me in. I pulled up to a house with the garage door open and I was going to try and run in... but I wasn't strong enough to get my car door open. It was terrible. I'm hoping that was the first and last time I have to experience something like that! A few days later I took some photos of the aftermath. Here, a barn fell down on a car:


hello breakfast at home, hello more Piper time, hello more husband time, hello more working out time.....and sewing time? (I made living room curtains last week! Hoping to do a "how to" post one of these days!) hello, time!

hello, new adventure.

XO,
Savanna

PS: if you are interested in car related news, follow me on twitter @defiancecars


6 comments:

  1. Good Luck Savanna!! That's awesome! Congrats and good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! I had no idea you had a blog. I just "liked" your page :) I'm excited to follow you!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for you!!!! Time is good for everyone! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandy! Hope we can plan a girls weekend soon! Miss you!

      Delete