Friday, May 25, 2012

happy to meet you

Today, Ian and I are headed to Catawba Island, Ohio, where we met Memorial Day weekend 5 years ago.

If you want to know where that is, you can check out a map here (halfway through the post).

I don't have any pictures from the weekend we met (pre-smart phone days), but here are a few from one of our first dates in June 2007. such youngins

One of our first dates in Pittsburgh @ a Pittsburgh Pirates Game.

Pittsburgh sure is a beautiful city.

And, if you are curious about how Ian and I met, you can find that story here on our wedding website (that I should probably take down one of these days. But, I don't want to! I still can't believe the wedding I planned for a year and half happened nine months ago. crazy.).

Ian is telling me that because we are married now, we don't get to officially celebrate the anniversary of the weekend we met anymore. That's a load of crap, Ian. 

After some negotiation, Ian told me that we could celebrate by going out to dinner, but no presents. That is fine with me!

(That must mean I am getting something super nice on our one year wedding anniversary, right? :)

I'm thankful for meeting Ian everyday. But, Memorial Day weekend every year I am reminded:

how wonderful life's surprises can be. 

how life works in ways we don't always understand at first.

how everything happens for a reason.

The long weekend is also a great reminder that summer is here. However, we often forget that Memorial Day was created to commemorate fallen soldiers who lost their lives to keep us safe. For families of those soldiers, Memorial Day is not about summer, it's about celebrating the lives of their dearest loved ones.

Take a moment on Monday to be thankful for the people that bravely defended our country (and continue to keep us safe) so that we can live our lives freely. Also, take a moment to remember your loved ones who have passed, that kept you safe in their love. 


And if you want, you can think about how awesome it was that Ian and I met 5 years ago. :)

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment