Tuesday, April 3, 2012

hairful what you wish for

Circa Summer 2010, while watching the show 90210, I became obsessed with Annie's (aka Shenae Grimes) hair.

Such magnificent color.

From light to dark.


From dark to light.


 Annie your hair is so beautiful. 

As I have gotten older, I have been on the conservative side when it comes to my hair.

I spent about 5 years of my earlier life as a blonde (crazy, right!?)
Here is a sort-of-blonde picture of me from New Years 2006. (I'm on the left)


But for a very long time now, I have been a very boring 1-color-brunette, like this below. (Here is my hair getting beautified for my wedding. A photo my good friend Lucy Hewett took.)


When I moved to Defiance, and found a hair dresser (the same one Ian goes to, but let's not go there), I decided to try and mimic "Annie" and got some very contrasting blonde highlights on the underneath part of my hair. Then with wedding planning in full swing, I chickened out and opted for solid brunette to and through the wedding. 

Once the wedding was over... and the fall faded into winter... I was ready to beat those winter blues with a party (in my hair)!!!

I joined Pinterest and my obsession with this hair color trend continued....let's call it "ombre" for easy reference.


This past December, my hair stylist and I talked through this ombre look again, and she attempted this look based on a photo I brought her. She had not been trained on this technique yet.
(Scary, right? I'm so brave.)

It worked out pretty well, but because the undertones of my brunette hair were red, the "ombre" turned out to be blackish-brown to golden (orange). I didn't love it, but it was headed in the right direction. We could have stayed longer and worked on it some more, but I don't prefer to be at the salon for a bazillion hours. She left it open for me to come back and work on it some more if I wanted, so I decided I needed to sleep on it (no pun intended :) hehe).

Well, I decided to sleep on it for a couple months, until my next appointment. I wore my hair straight a lot and really the "ombre" wasn't very noticeable.

At my next appointment in February, my hairdresser still hadn't been trained on this technique specifically, but she said this look was a "buzz" around the salon. Instead of doing anything dramatic, we decided to just "go with it" and pull some blonde through the bottom to add some more depth.

It actually turned out pretty cool!



It might not be your thing. But it's kind of fun to try something new! There are many versions of this "ombre" out there right now.

If you are interested in some version of this "ombre," my friend at work, who is a licensed hair dresser (Hi Leslie!) told me she did research she found the technique to be called "melting".

I went to a hair appointment last week, and my hairdresser said that they taught this technique at her week long training event (for Rusk) in Chicago after my last appointment!!!
(Of course! My timing is impeccable.).

(I actually plan on trying to do an allover lighter version of this in May. So last week I didn't get any color put on. I'm going to let my dark fade some more. But I did let her try some new "circle cut" she learned in Chicago. It's basically a bunch of long and short layers under my hair to add volume and it added some pizazz to my already colored hair. The photos below are my new cut and curls with a clip less curling iron

Now for inquiring minds...yes, Piper copied off of me. (OK, I copied off of her.)


happy hair! xo

PS. My blog post title really doesn't go with the post. I just "went with it"! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment