Wednesday, April 11, 2012

the things kids say

This post is written in jealousy.

Yes, I am jealous of my husband. Him, right there.

Photo by Lucy Hewett
Yes, he is handsome (if I do say so myself). And he is very tall (that is just a fact). The attention he gets is unreal. He doesn't want it, but he gets it.

#1 reason for attention - his height. (he is 6'6")

#2 reason for attention - his hair. (it is in abundance and has a nice flow & wave)

#3 reason for attention - I have no idea, but for some reason kids really dig Ian. He is not overly nice to kids. He doesn't seek their attention. But they gravitate to him like he is a character out of the Pirates of the Caribbean. I will get back to this point in a minute.





I adore kids. When I am around them, I do seek their attention.

I started babysitting when I was a kid. At the age of 10, I begged our neighbors to babysit their kids. Finally, they agreed and went to dinner, leaving us for a two hour experiment (can this little girl take care of our kids!? yes maam!) I succeeded! From that age to about 14 years old sometimes my mom would stop by and bring me over leftovers from dinner (and probably to check in on her baby watching babies). I then continued to babysit, in addition to other jobs, through middle school, high school and college (during school breaks and on the weekends). The money was great, and the company was even greater.

I just find kids and their curiosity amazing. I love their perspective and ... the things they say.



In addition to babysitting, of course my little sisters were a blast.

Shelby, the youngest, was a very serious baby. She rarely smiled and if she could have talked in full sentences, it always seemed she was looking at you like, "you dummy. i am so much smarter than you think." In fact, she probably was. I know I'm bragging a lot (but this is my soapbox people!) but Shelby, now in the 5th grade recently tested into a much, much higher grade level. Ah, to have her brains!

Anyways, my favorite game with Shelby was the "my mommy" game. I would give my mom a hug and say "my mommy." Then Shelby would get really mad and cling to my mom and say, "no, my mommy!!!!." I know, that was sort of mean, but even with 16 years difference in age, teasing siblings a little bit is a necessity.

Sydney on the other hand was a bubbly and smiley baby and toddler. One day, when she was about 6- 8 months of age, she was sitting in her car seat and I was playing with her. I thought for some reason that she could catch a squishy soft ball (the size of a tennis ball but made of a soft foam-like substance). Well, I threw the ball at her and she did not catch it (I'm sure you are surprised). It hit her (softly) in the head and she looked at me like, "girl, you crazy." Then she proceeded to laugh so hard and for so long (this was my first time hearing her laugh in this capacity) that I'm pretty sure she peed her pants. Understandable.

Another fond memory I have of Sydney is somewhere between the age of 1 and 2 where she looked at me one day and said, "sh*t - butt." How in the world did this little blue-eye babe regurgitate the two worst words she knew and combine them for greater impact? Amazing.

Back to my main point, Ian has had two notable run-ins with kids recently.

1 - Ian taught a Junior Achievement program at Defiance Elementary School. One of the kids asked him if he was "the godfather." (What?!)

2 -  Ian was at the bank, standing in line, when he overheard a young boy tell his mom the man standing next to him (Ian) was a "real life billionaire." (I wish!)

3- Ok, this next story isn't about a kid.

For New Year's Eve we went to one of those over-priced parties in downtown Chicago. (I had to try it once! Lesson learned - not worth it!) When Ian left me to get a second helping at the buffet, I was already ready to leave. My feet hurt (I hadn't worn heels that long since my wedding & the flashing lights were making me dizzy.)

Apparently, at these events, the rings on your left hand are invisible. As soon as Ian left my side, I got a nice visitor that asked me if I wanted a drink. I pointed to my full glass, tried to flash my diamond ring, and said,"no thanks." He didn't get the hint until I did a complete lap around the floor to lose him. It worked, and then Ian found me and told me that some girls asked him if he was a "CEO". (Yes, ladies, my 27 year-old husband in his first 5 months of practicing law is a CEO. NOT! stupid - gold digging - losers. Sorry, that's mean. But I was so ready to leave at this point, and I think we had been there for less then 2 hours... and it was 10pm.) Ian and I stayed as long as we could and decided to leave and watch the ball drop from our hotel room TV. Much better.

I guess the moral of this story is. . . er. . . kids think Ian is pretty cool. So do I.

happy wife! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment