Thursday, April 5, 2012

oh dear me

When my oldest-younger sister, Sydney, turned 13 (aka a teenager) in March, the alarms of worry sounded within me.

I panicked. 

I was in Indy around her birthday and decided I needed to have a talk with her about life (Because hers is speeding by me like a high speed train! This needs to happen now!). 

Sydney was in her room, so I let myself in and told her that we needed to have a talk.

She asked me, "Why? Dad already gave me the talk?"

I proceeded to very tactfully tell her that, "it's scary out there. . . and that sex can cause cancer."

(Wow, Savanna. Good job, you just jumped straight to sex and freaked your sister out. She will never call you for advice about anything.

A bit extreme, but I didn't make this STD up. The sexual transmitted desease is called HPV and has been advertised heavily due to the gardasil vaccine. You can learn more about HPV here.)

Then I said, that we could finish the conversation later, and that if she ever needed anything she could call me anytime. (I haven't received any phone calls yet.)

Since I live 2 hours away, (and can only stalk the 13-year-old on facebook) I've decided that if I can't get them on the phone (or communicate is a non-abrasive manner), maybe some self-reflection via social media will get their attention? And perhaps . . . allow them to learn from some of my experiences and feelings growing up.


This self-reflection will be in a series of "dear me" posts to my blog.
(I was considering doing a whole blog around this theme, but getting me to focus on one topic is well.... about as crazy as getting me to move to a town of only 17,000 people. Oh, wait, bad example.)

These "dear me" posts are inspired by the following (nope, I'm not that good):

1 - A Facebook viral video (not a bad virus!) called "Dear 16-year-old-me", that I watched in January. Dear 16-year-old-me focuses on skin cancer and prevention.

2 - This website , http://www.dearme.org/ is pretty neat too. There is a book you can buy on the site that is a collection of well known people and their letters to their younger selves. There are also some excerpts on the website, including J.K Rowling's forward to the book, where she says, "The overwhelming message of this body of letters seems to be: Be yourself. Be easier on yourself. Become yourself, as fully as possible.

3 - A link a friend shared on Facebook (thanks Meri!) that was about reflecting on your twenties here.

& lastly . . .


my sweet sisters.

Sydney is 13 (7th grade) and Shelby is 11 (5th grade). Since I can't handcuff myself to them in difficult situations, I will resort to this... because it's the decisions and experiences over the next five to ten years that will shape their whole life.

photo by Lucy Hewett























Let me be clear - I trust them. My sisters are both so incredibly special (ya, ya, I'm sure your kids and siblings are too). Sydney is insanely creative, and Shelby is a genius.

But, I'm a worrier. Those ages in my own life hold some of my most vivid memories and experiences...

1- Some of my experiences were great, like winning student of the year in 7th grade (whoops, did I mention that already here?)

2- Some were nerve racking, like being dared to kiss a boy (sorry dad) and singing a Mariah Carey duet in front of a large audience (Hero).

3- Some were awful, like being made fun of ALL of middle school for not having boobs.

In case you are worried, I will not stop all actual human - face to face - verbal - communication with my sisters. This is simply a starting point, and an aid.

Stay tuned for the first, "dear me." xo

No comments:

Post a Comment